Monday, July 16, 2007

"No fishing" in Lake Izabal for 30 days!


On Saturday, July 14, I read an article in "Prensa Libre" (the newspaper I try to buy every day) that I think will be of interest to you. The article is entitled "Prohiben la pesca por 30 días" and says that for 30 days, August 15 - September 14, fishing in Lago Izabal will be prohibited.

This is a "decree" of the Ministerio de Agricultura, Ganadería y Alimentación. It seems that the fish population is diminishing and they need this 30 days of no fishing so the fish can repopulate (that is my new word for today!). The article says that in 2006 they did the same kind of thing.

Based on what they told us in El Estor, that 80% of the men are in involved in fishing (I think that was the figure), this prohibition on fishing will greatly impact your brothers and sisters in El Estor so I am sure they would appreciate your prayers.

Ellen Dozier

No comments: